You’d have to be living under a rock, or a very full shopping bag, to not have seen the rise of the art of blogging. And without question, businesses need to get on board. Not only is a blog a great way to connect with potential clients and share information about your business and it’s services, it is also a fantastic SEO tool and can work to improve your Google ranking.
Did you know…
- Websites that blog daily get 5 times more traffic to their website than those who post weekly or less
- 95% of businesses with a blog report an increase in their search engine ranking
- Adding between 21 and 51 blog posts to your site boosts traffic by up to 30%
- And when you’ve added at least 52 blog posts, your traffic increases by 77%!
- Small businesses that blog get 126% more lead growth than those that don’t
- 70% of consumers admit blogs influence what they buy
- Blogs are 63% more likely to influence purchasing decisions than magazines
- 58% of consumers trust editorial content
- Blogs educate your customers and visitors. Who would you rather buy a car from … someone that’s taken the time to educate you about cars by providing free, unbiased, educational content, or someone that you’ve never met or spoken to before in your entire life?
- Blogs build brand awareness. Every person that lands on your website represents an opportunity to generate a new lead, too. If you write a blog post that 100 people read, you have 100 opportunities to turn those readers into leads by putting a call-to-action on that blog post.
So how do you get started?
Step 1: Find your focus
Before you write your first post, brainstorm a selection of topics that your blog will cover.
A good question to ask when defining the focus of your blog is, what interests my target audience, and what kind of unique insights can I provide for my audience?
Step 2: Discover your content marketing platform (CMS)
If you don’t know anyone with coding skills who owes you a favour, and don’t have a CMS developer on staff, you can check out a range of different easy-to-use blogging platforms online.
Before you set out to look for the perfect fit for your business, make a list of all the must-haves for your blog.
- Do you need a platform that lends itself to sharing high-quality images?
- Do you want your CMS to do all the coding for you?
- Do you need fast access to blog analytics?
- Can you invest money into a paid host, or are you looking for a free tool?
This will narrow down the list, so you can save time and begin blogging sooner.
Step 3: Do your research
In order for your blog to be successful in generating new leads, it must be original and offer something that your competitors don’t. To be aware of what this is, you first need to get familiar with the blogs already created by other businesses in your field. Subscribe to the blogs of other businesses in your field. Note the focus you think their business might have, and the customer personas they may be targeting with the content.
Step 4: Start off strong
Now that you have your list of topics and have done your research, it’s time to write your first post! When you’re ready to go, remember to post often.
Consistency is key, and regular posting will ensure you get great results from your blogging strategy.
Okay, now know what to do, but don’t have the time to consistently create blogs?
We can help.
Melbourne Social Co offers blogging packages, tailored specifically to your business. We can write one-off blogs that showcase your brand, or you can engage us to create blog content for your website on an ongoing basis.
Contact us for more information